09 November 2009

Why can't trace particles be random and where did I leave my keys?

I had the pleasure of reviewing and abstracting about 370 pages of medical records today. A revelation hit me - I can trace all the major events in this person's life by her medical records. If there was a visit to the ER with lacerations and bruises, it was a domestic scuffle with her significant other. She had a baby. She had substance abuse issues. From looking at these records alone, I can see her job history, her residence history and even how many sexual partners she had.

Now that most medical records and purchases are electronic, information is catalogued that details not only the date of my last tetanus shot, but also what variety of Ovaltine I buy. Because I routinely use a debit card, my household purchases are tracked. Because I am insured with a prescription plan all of my prescription purchases are recorded in a database.

Because I take things to extreme, follow me down this rabbithole....

My Nokia 6790 is a gps enabled device and, with the right Symbian compliant coding, can provide real-time mapping of where I am, where I was and how long I stood in line at Wal-Mart.

So, what does my digital thumbprint say about me?
Maybe if I empty the recycle bin and turn my phone off, I don't have to know. I'm just trying to keep up with my keys. Later folks.

No comments: