05 April 2010

¿Dónde Está la Biblioteca?

It's been a difficult transition, back to the real world after taking vacation.
As for the chance to speak some Spanish? Utter disappointment. After years, mind you, YEARS of diligent study -in the windowless, concrete block classroom with the low table and pillow in the corner with the dimmed lights, eccentric music and cluster/bunch seating arrangements - but still YEARS of diligent study, I didn't use that phrase a single time while I was on the Yucatán peninsula. All of those words, I flaunted with ease for years still remain untested. I could not find (and I tried) a single situation in which to use "¡Albóndigas! No te dije?" or Tegucigalpa. Why didn't someone warn me? Could it be that the Spanish-speaking world I experienced in that windowless, concrete block classroom with the low table and pillow in the corner with the dimmed lights, eccentric music and cluster/bunch seating arrangements wasn't reflective of an expected experience in Latin America? But, looking back on those years, that room WAS kind of a foreign land with it's own language and culture. Oh yeah, and those strange rituals.
But hey, I got to say Xtabentún and I even bought a nice-sized bottle and brought it home. Later folks.

No comments: